343 BS 381C 627 Light Aircraft Grey
Sale Sold out
Regular price $1.75 USD
Regular priceUnit price per
BS 381C 627 Light Aircraft Grey
A high-quality semi-gloss RAF light aircraft gray enamel paint for scale models and historical miniatures.
BS 627 Light Aircraft Grey Color Guide:
- Light Aircraft Grey BS 627 was introduced to the BS 381C standard in 1966. This color was derived from BS 9-095 of BS 2660.
- The use of the Light Aircraft Grey BS 627 color was first formalized by Defense Council Institute T.346/65 on 4 August 1965.
- BS 627 Light Aircraft Grey was intended to paint the lower surfaces of RAF fighter and ground-attack aircraft, while the upper surfaces retained a post-war camouflage consisting of BS 641 Dark Green and BS 638 Dark Sea Gray. This scheme lasted until 1995 when it was replaced by the more modern tactical gray scheme.
- BS 627 Light Aircraft Grey was also used in the RAF Air Defense Grey scheme. In addition to Light Aircraft Grey used for the lower surfaces, this scheme also included BS 626 Camouflage Grey for the upper surfaces. In some cases ( such as for F-4 Phantoms) the upper surfaces of the wings could be painted BS 637 Medium Sea Grey.
- BS 627 Light Aircraft Grey was also used to paint the undersurfaces of RAF strategic bombers when it replaced the Anti-Flash White finish. The upper surfaces under this scheme were painted in BS 641 Dark Green and BS 637 Medium Sea Grey, a lighter gray compared to BS 638 used on fighter aircraft.
- BS 627 Light Aircraft Grey was also used for maritime patrol aircraft. As an example, early Nimrod MR.1s had the lower surfaces painted in this color, while the upper surfaces were white.
- The Hemp camouflage scheme that was adopted for strategic non-bomber aircraft in the 1980s-2010s also used BS 627 Light Aircraft Grey for the lower surfaces. The upper surfaces of the aircraft were painted BS 389 Camouflage Beige.
- The ISTAR camouflage scheme requires BS 627 Light Aircraft Grey to be used to paint the top part of the fuselage on Nimrod R.1 aircraft, with all other parts to be painted BS 626 Camouflage Grey.
- Acrylic A343s
- Enamel E343s
- 10ml. (0.33oz)